Monday, May 4, 2015

Slash Across The Forehead? And Three Things You Fight When You Fight


     When I was a guest on the old G. Gordon Liddy radio show many moons ago, Liddy made the statement –

     “You know the first thing I would do in a knife fight?”

     “What’s that, G-Man?” I asked.

     “I would slash the man across the forehead. That way the blood would soon pour down into his eyes. Blind him, and then I could finish him off.”


     Since we were live on the air coast to coast, I decided to let that one pass … but no.

     I had heard this little forehead-slash ditty for years before and continue to hear it. Just three weeks ago in California, a seminar attendee asked about such a face attack, saying it was a big strategy in ____ Kali.  Others report that some Italian knife systems promote this strategy.

     Well, again, no.

     Some seem to emphasize it with a backhand slash, as though that attack is somewhat exclusive to a forehead slash. Nope. I guess it could be any slash or even a forehead stab. (In fact, a good stab that hits the skull and slides off to the side can do a lot of rip-up damage.)

     Briefly, let’s look at this touted forehead slash. So ... I am in a knife fight for my life. Every second counts. The heavenly clouds have opened for me somehow! His arms cleared an open path to his head. And I … choose to cut the forehead. I cut the forehead and then continue on with this deadly duel and battle, back and forth, back and forth. Then I wait until sufficient streams of blood work downward like spilled paint from a paint can that flows over the eyebrows and down into both eyes thick enough to blind the enemy, whereby I deliver the death move.

     Huh? If the heavens opened for me? I would rather cut the eye or eyes themselves or the throat, not aim at the forehead. Get a much quicker finish. Why wait for blinding blood flow? Because in the subsequent, post-forehead-cut, seeping blood moments while I am waiting for his total blindness, he could get lucky and ... KILL ME FIRST!

     A moment to bleed? Could be. Yes. Maybe more. Here's why.

     When we fight an enemy, we are dealing with three big problems:

     Problem 1: His athleticism (natural and/or acquired);
     Problem 2: His pain tolerance;
     Problem 3: His adrenaline (which could increase the aforementioned 1 and 2).

     These three important things are at play in a fight and do not make Jack a dull boy. Not at all. They can turn Jack into an overpowering engine. Now I could pontificate on these subjects ad nauseam. All righteous observations, but we’ll stick with the subject here on forehead-slash attacks and select Problem 3: Adrenaline for discussion.

     One of the benefits of adrenaline is it pushes/sucks the blood from the surface of the skin, protecting the body as much as it can from bleeding. Medical history as well as my personal experiences can attest to this. I have seen people slashed with a knife and start to bleed normally a bit later, post adrenaline. This can be different than a surprise, accidental cut on the face. No fight. No adrenaline.

     So if you get a slash across his forehead, you really can’t predict how successful that slash might be, how much blood it will produce, how much and how fast it will "seep" down, and how quickly it will blind. And you cannot and should not waste that "heavenly opportunity" of an opening with a forehead slash and should instead go for a better attack on the eye, eyes, and/or a neck shot.

      Now that I have written this anti-forehead-slash advice here, I will no doubt hear from at least one person, from someone who "knows" someone, who "knows" this worked once, with an anecdotal tale. But, really, in the big picture? Forget the forehead slash. You might accidentally slash the forehead, sure. But, don't fixate on this as a super-secret, insider, "knife-fighter" success strategy. It ain't.

     And you haven't got the time to mess around with this.





In the 1990s and early 2000s, every time I had a new book published, the G-Man had me on his show. He is quite a colorful character and has a great American story.